Re: Priorities!

To: gofastmg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Priorities!
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:44:32 -0500 (CDT)
Rick Morrison writes:

> [ I wrote: ]
>
> >Fact:  Higher speeds require the brakes to dissipate more energy than
> >       lower speeds.
> >
> >Fiction:  More powerful engines force you to drive faster.
> >
> >Understand?
> Immaterial;
>   Fiction- more powerful engines make cars faster
>   Fact - more powerful engines accerate cars quicker

It's bordering on pedantic perhaps, but DRIVERS accelerate cars quicker.
The motor just gives you the means.  It's akin to the oft-abused phrase
"Guns don't kill people; people kill people".

>  difference being that speed, while dependent on availible power, is also
> a function of gearing.  Example (non LBC)  My works Moto-crosser was
> extremely modified for power. In fact the versions we rode put out almost
> twice the power of the un-modified version. BUT the top speed was about
> 20 mph SLOWER. Because the purpose was to get there quick, not faster.

I fail to see how your example clarifies anything.

It doesn't matter if you take 2 seconds or 2 minutes to get to 60 mph;
the exact same amount of energy must be dissipated by the brakes.
EXACT.

> As to the need for better brakes with a modified engine, one must
> consider the entire car when making modifications.  The thing is a
> system.

No, it's not.  The brakes have NO functional or causal relationship
with the engine.

>   To look at it another way, suppose you modified and improved your brake
> system. Does that then mean you then must drive at a higher rate simply
> because of better brakes?  Of course not.  Then just because you have a
> more powerful engine, you are not forced to drive fast.

Right.  I thought I said that already.

> But the purpose
> of power is to utilize the quickness, thus under those conditions where
> it is appropiate to take that advantage, then it behooves you to have the
> ability to DE-celerate in a similar manner.

Are you confusing acceleration with speed?

>   But electronic ignition are capable of firing a much more powerful coil
> than is a point style system, especially at higher RPM's

Okay.  But it's still the coil that makes the spark.  Electronic
ignition with a stock coil and plug gap shouldn't make any more
horsepower.

> >And can anybody else tell me why engine modifications require a
> >different needle?
>
>  The airflow rates into and/or out of the engine have changed, and not
> necessarily in a linear manner.

Is this solely due to the cam?  Something tells me the answer is
probably "no", but it might be nice to find out that at least a few
things in life are simple and predictable...

> Just to keep the pot boiling, I submit my tuppence wortth

Boil, baby, boil!

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with an analytical bent

Atheist #685                    "Whatever, baby."