Re: Priorities!

To: Dan Rollins <dan_rollins@technologist.com>,
Subject: Re: Priorities!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:58:09 -0400
(regarding why if the K&N was so great the manufacturing
   companies wouldn't install them)

Dan Rollins wrote:
> Because it affects the emissions levels and makes it a little more
> bothersome (and expensive in the long run) to pass 50 state emissions?

  I might buy this...

> Having worked with large manufacturing corporations, often a decision
> to save on production costs in a competitive market involves choosing
> a slightly inferior component that saves a few cents per unit.

  I don't buy this however.

  I agree 100% if it was something that doesn't affect sales, like
saving a screw or two that holds the doorskin on, or skimping on
a bit of carpet in an area that doesn't show.

  But the car I am talking about costs $28,000 and delivers
210hp stock, and 240hp with a filter than costs $100 in units
of one.

  Cars like this sell by the basis of their horsepower, that
is why people buy them. To add 30hp to the car, I suspect they
could raise the price $1000 and still sell more. In the
performance car market, 30hp more than competitors equivalent
cars is worth everything.

  Case in point, how many cars come with different sized
engines at different prices? Generally to get an engine
that produces 30hp more is an option that costs at
least hundreds of dollars.

  Here the company could supply the same thing and cost
them only a few dollars more.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada