Re: Priorities!

To: ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Priorities!
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:54:31 EDT

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:02:47 -0700 (PDT) EMILY COWEN
<ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca> writes:
>Hi Rick Morrison!!
>
>On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Rick Morrison wrote:
>
>> output coils and consequently the greater plug gap.  Which you will
>never
>> be able to do with a point type ignition.  The second big plus of
>
>Sorry, Rick, but our '73 "B" with STOCK points ignition is happily
>firing Bosch Platinums at app. 0.050" gap.  It's a daily driver, NOT a
>car-port queen... and has been very reliable.
Point taken.  You are aboslutely right, and I should have added a
disclaimer regarding platinums. I can only plead to having centered on
"stock" ignitions, I assumed (there's that word again!) standard type
plugs.  What makes it worse is I too run Bosch Plats at about .050" gap
with a standard ignition system!!

>> electronic ignitions is the more precise timing, again which a point
>type
>> system cannot hope to obtain.
>
>It's been my experience that the precision of the electric ignition is
>degraded by the amount of wear in the timing chain.  To fully utilize
>the accuracy of the electronic ignition, you must convert to either
>the
>timing belt drive (relatively cheap), or a gear drive set-up (pricey).
True, but that imprecission (due to the timing chain/gear wear and flex)
is present no matter which system you utilize. Discounting any wear
outside the dizzy, the electronic system will always be more precise.

 Now, you're probably wondering why I don"t  have an electronic system on
my car.
Simple inertia.  For what I do with my car, the point type works very
well, and every time I think I have enough money to replace a perfectly
good distributor and coil, something else with a higher priority raises
it's head.

One of these days!!

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT