Re: FW: 2022

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: FW: 2022
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Q!!

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:

> Anybody got unbiased printed reports?

Try to get your hands on the trade mag "Automotive Industries",
published monthly by Chilton co.  There's no advertising fluff to deal
with.  They write about all different aspects of the current automotive
community; from all parts of the world.

The write-up on Chrysler's new car engineering was impressive.  Lot's of
interesting things coming for us to see/use.  As a consumer, I love the
GLOBAL competition driving the automotive design, but wonder where the
marketing guys have their heads shoved.

Remember when GM's Duntove wouldn't put RADIALS on any 'vettes because
"the average North American driver couldn't handle the different
response characteristics of the radial"?  GM has done the same thing
today with the latest import for Cadillac: they DETUNED the suspension
to "fit" the NA market when they brought the Caterra over from Europe

Anyways, remember the credo: NEVER, but NEVER buy the first generation
of ANYTHING.  ALWAYS wait for at least the second generation design, or
even the third.  We always used to say that GM did it's final product
R&D in the marketplace!!  Our little 235 Buick v-8 was a warrantee
nightmare until GM sold it to Rover, and THEY redesigned the cooling
system to make it into a reliable engine...

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who's nervous about the new "fluidless brakes"
                      [AI Sept '96, AI March '97] even if Delphi, ITT,
                      and Bosch are working on it)