Re: FW: 2022

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: FW: 2022
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Q!!

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:

> Comments MIG welded in below...

> I've heard both good and bad but thats only biased talk.
> I'm hoping to hear good things about the new car model.

Well, now that the R&D has been done on the new platform, the bug
squashing has begun.  Chrysler engineering has just spent mega
bucks/time on the window defrost system because they said the first
system wasn't satisfactory.  They say that they learned things that
nobody knew about, and can guarantee the next vehicle's
ventilation/heating system in advance.  Man, I'd like a little of that
in our cars...

> Makes one wanto to sry.  This is why most Euro & Jap cars seem to
               ^^^^^^^^^
And I thought that engineers didn't have emotions...

> >Anyways, remember the credo: NEVER, but NEVER buy the first generation
> >of ANYTHING.  ALWAYS wait for at least the second generation design, or
>
> Yeah, like a Bugeye opposed to a Box Sprite?  |:)

Don't be confusing "badge engineering" with design changes.  All they
did to "improve" the bug-eye was to change the body styling, and MOST of
the auto-buying public bought into it!!  If you want to, you can install
the bug-eye front end sheet metal onto the MK I Midget, MK II Sprite, no
problemo.

The move from 1/4 eliptic rear springs to semi-eliptic springs was to
give that typical North American "boulivard ride", not to improve the G
forces on a skid pad.  If they'd done it RIGHT, the MK III Sprite
would've had an IRS set-up, like the Spit's Mk III one; NOT THE SWING
AXLE el cheapo from the Triumph Herald that the MK I had.

> Boy, was that bad.  I'm sure there are other major lemons but I can't
> remember any as bad as the GM diesel.

Ugh, does Chevy Vega aluminum block ring any bells??  The warantee fixes
ended up with cast iron sleeves... GM should've reverse engineered
Honda...

> Tell me more of this fluidless brakes.  Can it be stopped?  |;)-

If they are implemented, ITT says that a system voltage of 36v will be
the break point of component weight/battery pack size.

Fewer part numbers because "feel and characteristics are determined by
an algorithm rather than juggling master cylinders and boosters."

"There's even an emissins case to be made, since elimination of the
vacuum source now needed for the booster would permit more accurate
engine intake tuning."

When -app 2005.  Where - German Luxury vehicle

> Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer

Time to bare your soul (in public yet).  What's a "Systems Engineer"????

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who's often wondered who's job it was to make sure
                      that a simple piece of equipment had to have at
                      least one, or more 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and
                      1/2 inch fasteners when just 3/8, and 1/2 would do
                      99.9999% of the time... but now I'm whining.)