Re: FW: 2022

To: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: FW: 2022
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:27:57 -0500
Comments MIG welded in below...

At 11:04 AM 6/30/97 -0700, EMILY COWEN wrote:
>Hi Q!!
>
>On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:
>
>> Anybody got unbiased printed reports?
>
>Try to get your hands on the trade mag "Automotive Industries",
>published monthly by Chilton co.  There's no advertising fluff to deal
>with.  They write about all different aspects of the current automotive
>community; from all parts of the world.

Good show ole chap.  Thanks.

>The write-up on Chrysler's new car engineering was impressive.  Lot's of
>interesting things coming for us to see/use.  As a consumer, I love the
>GLOBAL competition driving the automotive design, but wonder where the
>marketing guys have their heads shoved.

I've heard both good and bad but thats only biased talk.

I'm hoping to hear good things about the new car model.

>Remember when GM's Duntove wouldn't put RADIALS on any 'vettes because
>"the average North American driver couldn't handle the different
>response characteristics of the radial"?  GM has done the same thing
>today with the latest import for Cadillac: they DETUNED the suspension
>to "fit" the NA market when they brought the Caterra over from Europe

Makes one wanto to sry.  This is why most Euro & Jap cars seem to
have the pulse on the American taste in driving machines.

Sometimes, we may have it right, then screw it up so it will drive like
a familiar crappy feel?!

The Caterra is made by Opel.  I love Opel. only becuase I owned a 72 Opel
GT (Babe Magnet, when your 16)

>Anyways, remember the credo: NEVER, but NEVER buy the first generation
>of ANYTHING.  ALWAYS wait for at least the second generation design, or

Yeah, like a Bugeye opposed to a Box Sprite?  |:)

>even the third.  We always used to say that GM did it's final product
>R&D in the marketplace!!  Our little 235 Buick v-8 was a warrantee

Yes, I say the same thing about Microsoft.

>nightmare until GM sold it to Rover, and THEY redesigned the cooling
>system to make it into a reliable engine...

I remember doing a bunch of Block swaps with the GM Diesel in the early
80's.  I think the owners finally won out under the new lemon law.

Boy, was that bad.  I'm sure there are other major lemons but I can't
remember any as bad as the GM diesel.

>TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who's nervous about the new "fluidless brakes"
>                      [AI Sept '96, AI March '97] even if Delphi, ITT,
>                      and Bosch are working on it)

Tell me more of this fluidless brakes.  Can it be stopped?  |;)-

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net