Re: FW: 2022

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FW: 2022
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:52:29 -0500
Wanda Whips Wallstreet Below...

At 05:30 PM 6/30/97 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>Jay Quinn wrote:
>> My kid, he wants to build a kit car so he could have a
>> major babe magnet.  Things like Lambs, Ferrari's, etc.
>> Obviously, he has his priorites in alignment!
>
>  Kit cars are neat, but surely you can steer him off of that
>path. I think the "build a Ferrari from a Fiero" is the modern
>equivalent of the 98 lb. weakling into muscleman babe magnet
>comic book ad.

Yes, but, my ploy on this is that I'm getting him interested and
looking through mags and seeing different types of cars.  I let
him read through the Healey stuff that comes in, and buy different mags
like trucks.  He gets a lot of variety.  Not just mags, but hard bound
books with pics and info of great classics and great sports cars too.

Tell me, when you were 10, and saw a lamb or ferrari, did
you want one?  Bet ya did.  So does he.  Should I tell him I'd buy him one?
 Or start mowing the yard to earn that money?  No.  But let him know that
there is an alternative to having a super cool car, doesn't cost me
anything.  And I can help when he is ready to build something.
The issue of the kit car isn't so much to me, than the time spent with the
kid working together on the project.  Priceless times spent.  Kit or crud
ball brought back to life.  Crud ball moretehn likely.  He's aware of the
level of work invloved in a kit.

He's watching me work on the Sprite.  He's seeing the cost of parts and
tools.  In a couple of more years, he'll be settled on something sound.
Like the 62 Sprite!  He's already asked if he could have that car when hes
old enough to drive.

I've looked extensily for the last 25 years into Kit cars, and no, they
look cheap, and cost a fortune to build if it gets done right so it won't
look cheap.  A lot depends on the kit.

Never get the idea that they appreciate.  They don't and never will.  If
you can, buy a unfinished one from someone else.

>  Any kit exotics I have ever seen fell into two categories
>
>- Embarrassing

Depends on the kit, but yes I agree in most cases.

>- Nice, but ended up costing as much as a base model real Ferrari

Depends on the kit and if all is done right, about 1/3.
Which depending on the car being replicated, about $30-50K
which is outrageous making a kit not really worth it.

>  I suppose using the car as a babe magnet involves letting
>them see the interior as well, and it's damn expensive to
>hide the word "Fiero" everywhere. Much easier to convince
>them that Fiero is italian for Ferrari.

Well there are a dozen or more kits for the Fiero these days.
I think it's a lot better than a VW approach.  Hiding the name
isn't much of a problem.

The 88 Fiero is the most recommend model becuase they had
V6's available.  Beef one up with a pair of Turbo chargers, you got a
serious pavement scratcher.  The power to move the car the way it looks.
Also spent a ton of bucks.

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net