RE: This grinding is driving me NUTS!!

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: This grinding is driving me NUTS!!
From: Patti & John Morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 16:19:51 -0500
I have a similar problem with my A. Some times it is stubborn going into =
first. sometimes the lever won't go all the way in...sometimes it does =
and there is the chirp or a little grinding. Other times it goes right =
in...no problem. It depends on how worn the teeth are on the lead-in =
edge of your first and laygear and how they happen to align at the =
moment you are trying to engage them. I think it gets worse when =
everything is warm because the oil is thin and the gears don't slow down =
as fast when you depress the clutch.
The best solution has been to shift into second then up into first. This =
seems to align the gears so first engages easily. I can also depress the =
clutch and wait just a moment before I put the lever into first and that =
helps. The ultimate solution would be new or better gears. My problem =
doesn't bother me much and hasn't changed much in many years.

Hope this helps.

John
---------