Re: This grinding is driving me NUTS!!

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com, Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: This grinding is driving me NUTS!!
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 02:28:56 EDT
On Sat, 2 Aug 1997 09:49:48 -0400 <larry.g.unger@lmco.com> writes:

>>> I assume the grinding only occurs when you try to shift into 1st?
>>
>> Yes, typically only in 1st gear.
>
>Then my WAG ... there is nothing wrong with your clutch.
>
> (snip)
>
>Barney ... do ya think that this do to tranny wear or that its just the
nature of the sliding spur 1st gear?

When the car is standing still, if you push the clutch pedal to the floor
and count to ten, everything should stop, then no grinding, ever.  If it
still grinds, the clutch is not releasing completely, or the clutch is
re-engauging after it releases.  Perhaps you have internal leakage in the
clutch master cylinder allowing the fluid to flow back from the slave
into the reservoir.  It's quite common in the brake master cylinder.
Although I don't recall hearing of it in the clutch side, it's pretty
much the same works inside.  You might need to rebuild the master
cylinder (or did I miss that part?).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude