RE: The truth about wire wheels

To: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Subject: RE: The truth about wire wheels
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:42:36 -0600
There was a lot of fairly good information in the previous post.  I deleted
most of it to save bandwidth.  I do take issue with the comments below.  The
splines start out without sharp edges.  Once they wear a bit, the become
sharp and pointed.  Further wear will result in very dull (spun) edges.  It
is sort of like chain gears (for timing chains, bicycle chains, etc.)  They
start off with dull points.  If the points become sharp, it is still usable,
and in fact still fairly good, but a lot of wear has occurred.  Forget to
oil the chain and gears, and sooner or later the boints will be gone, thus
inducing a spin of the chain.

>Check the wires.  Are any broken or loose?  Look into the spline - are the
>edges sharp or are they flat?  Flat is bad, sharp is good with the following
>caveat - sharp can be bad but this is rare (if the wheel spline is so worn,
>the flat edge begins to sharpen again due to loose fit and clunking and this
>is very bad but also rare).

>no significant abuse (hole shots, curbs ...).  The splines should all have
>nice sharp edges.  When you put the wheel on the car **do not overtighten**
Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C