Re: True or False

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: True or False
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:08:12 -0600
>Phil Bates wrote:
>> I'm sorry I opened the whole can of worms.  I didn't mean to say Debora
>> shouldn't work on her own car.  Actually I think she should.  And the first
>> thing I would do if I were her is get rid of all the emissions stuff, and
>> the single carb, and put a set of dual SU's on.

Some stuff deleted

>  It seems to be stated that emissions-equipped Bs are
>more complex and slightly harder for the beginning
>DIY mechanic to handle.

I believe that i also used the word strangulation in a previous post.  This
referring to what the emissions equipment does to the B engine.

>  However, the difficulty of maintaining those extra
>hoses and devices is in the same range as the difficulty
>in acquiring, installing, tuning, and modifying a
>late B to run properly on a set of dual SUs as you
>recommend.

Acquiring, tuning, I agree with you 100%. Installation would be really easy
though.  It is nuts and bolts, about 4 hoses, and plugging some air pump
ports.  Removal of the stock equipment, would be much more complex than
installation of the older system.  Further, I would advocate keeping all of
the equipment, in case of a bad emissions conscience, or moving to an area
with the emissions requirements.

>  Some have their reasons for the conversion, but I
>don't see a point where, on difficulty alone, a proper
>carb swap and engine bay cleanout is less difficult
>than maintaining an emissions system.

There is one clear and obvious reason.  A late B had 62.5 horsepower.  I
hear that their top speed is about 75mph (I got that number from Debora, I
can not attest to all late B's).  I live in a state where the speed limit is
75, and I don't want to take all day to get there, because I'll be run over
by a big truck.  The state north of me doen't have a speed limit, and you
better be able to do 90 there.  An early B with it's twin SU's and bare of
emissions equip (with the exception of a PCV valve) has 95 hp, and - with
overdrive a top speed of 107mph - without overdrive, I can do about 95mph.

>  With a bit of reading, maintaining an emissions
>system is, IMHO, negligable work anyways. I still have
>everything on my car that still works, even though
>there is no emissions requirements here.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C