Problem refitting engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Problem refitting engine
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 21:15:15 -0400 (EDT)
I put the engine back in the MGB today, but am a little concerned that it
required so much effort to get the bellhosing to mate to the back of the
engine.  I had everything lined up but it wouldn't just slap together so I
pulled the bellhousing and engine together with the long screws that hold
them.  (I did use the clutch aligning tool.)  The engine turns freely, so
I may not have a problem.

Maybe I didn't get the pinion bearing (or spigot bushing) in the rear
of the crankshaft far enough.  The old one just slipped out, so I was
surprised when I had to tap this one in.  Any advice on how recessed it
should be from the rear of the crank?

Could some residual pressure in the clutch line cause this problem?  I
haven't bled the clutch and it doesn't do anything when I push the pedal.

In short, I'd love for someone to tell me it's normal to have to close
the half-inch gap between engine and bellhousing by using nuts and bolts.

John Middlesworth
72  MGB