Re: Problem refitting engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Problem refitting engine
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 03 Oct 1997 11:33:15 -0500
In <Pine.SUN.3.96.971003122230.8789A-100000@freenet.buffalo.edu>, Art
Pfenninger wrote:
>       Sounds like a bit more urban folk lore,I can't imagine the factory
>going through any soakings. How much oil can a piece of brass, and I said
>brass soak up?

Bushings of this kind are sintered bronze, not brass.  The material is
also called oilite.  Bronze granules are pressed together under heat
and pressure.  This leaves pores which oil can permeate.  A 24 hour
soak is normal, and recommended in the SHOP MANUAL (RTFM!!)  Not
legend, fact.

                        A. B. (RTFM) Bonds