Re: Problem refitting engine

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: Problem refitting engine
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 09:43:17 -0400 (EDT)
        Well after reading your reply I said to myself self,why have I
never seen this "fact" before so I pulled out as many MG books as I could
find.The only reference that I found (I don't have the B shop manual but
thats another story) was in the Haynes which said that the spigot bush
should be renewed by an engineering firm possessing the necessary tools.I
think it is safe to assume that the factory had the necessary tools but I
still doubt that they soaked these things in oil.
        Now I am on a quest since I can't seem to find this fact no matter
how many books I look at. I pulled out a 27 year Haynes manual on Triumphs
and there it was...soak the new bush for 1 hour in hot oil. So I said to
myself again why? Then it struck me to  look in the transmission section.
No luck in the newer books but in the MGA shop manual there it was
"immerse the bronze bushes in warm oil to facilitate fitting". It also
mentioned that that they had done away with the old type of bronze that
you have refered to and replaced it with phosphor-bronze.
        The oil soaking process has nothing to do with proper procedure
such as oiling bearings during a rebuild, it is to help the home mechanic
without the necessary tools to do the job easier. The fact that none of
the common books mention soaking these bushings speaks to the issue that
tens of thousands of these jobs have been done without the process.
        Saying something loud enough and often enough does not make it
true. I stick by my original advice, grease the bush before putting the
tranny back and and call me 20 years.
...Art