Re: In re: 'For Sale' items, non-LBC content, etc...

To: dresden@star.net, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: In re: 'For Sale' items, non-LBC content, etc...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:59:08 -0400
dresden@star.net wrote:
> I think what Nory was saying is that the list needs a variety of posts to
> keep everyone happy. And nobody said anything about somebody who doesn't
> like it needing to just leave.

  Nory's email said so, like five lines above where I quoted. Have
another look. Almost those exact words, "...they can always leave".

> Saying that the list should be a little more
> open rather than more closed is not an "a or b" proposition, it's more of a
> "why not a and b?" proposition.

  The problem that A and B means in order to get the A that
people come here for (the MG talk) they have to endure the
B (other crap they likely don't care about).

  It is a SERIOUS time committment to keep up with this list,
and so many people are dropping off because they can't handle it. As
well, and I think I fall into this category, many of us just
take the list so much less seriously now because we can't
possibly read it all.

  I used to read every email, even if I didn't have the
problem or even the car. There was always something to
learn, some bit of knowledge to tuck away that might come
in handy.

  Now, I just open the folder and skim everything. I probably
actually READ maybe 10% of all the email, it's basically
an exercise in emptying the mail folder as fast as I can. It's
almost like a chore now.

  If the list was properly focused, more quality people could
follow the list. People would come for the A and stay for
the A, and if they wanted B, they can go elsewhere so as not
to disturb those who don't. Common sense.

  Imagine if in order to buy MG brake pads from Moss you had
to buy a FIAT engine at the same time. All you want are the pads,
and you are prepared to pay a fair price for them, but the only
way you can get them is to also drop the coin to get that
useless FIAT engine as well.

  Same thing here. To hang out on this list and get the
MG content that everyone comes for, you have to take on
the overwhelming mail load of all the other stuff as well.

  And just like you might decide you don't need brake pads
that badly after all, many people decide they don't need
the MG content that badly either, and sign off.

  This isn't the first time this has happened, so many
lists get ruined this way. As the quality people drop
off, the "loud" people get more numerous, the spiral
continues, and eventually it's a complete waste of time.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada