Re: In re: 'For Sale' items, non-LBC content, etc...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: In re: 'For Sale' items, non-LBC content, etc...
From: dresden@star.net
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:11:20 -0500
>dresden@star.net wrote:
>> I think what Nory was saying is that the list needs a variety of posts to
>> keep everyone happy. And nobody said anything about somebody who doesn't
>> like it needing to just leave.
>
>  Nory's email said so, like five lines above where I quoted. Have
>another look. Almost those exact words, "...they can always leave".

Yes, I read the original message. Saying that they can always leave is not
the same thing as you would have it be, and she didn't say they should
leave if they didn't like it, rather, that they should leave if they didn't
have time for it.
>  It is a SERIOUS time committment to keep up with this list,
>and so many people are dropping off because they can't handle it. As
>well, and I think I fall into this category, many of us just
>take the list so much less seriously now because we can't
>possibly read it all.
>
>  I used to read every email, even if I didn't have the
>problem or even the car. There was always something to
>learn, some bit of knowledge to tuck away that might come
>in handy.
>
>  Now, I just open the folder and skim everything. I probably
>actually READ maybe 10% of all the email, it's basically
>an exercise in emptying the mail folder as fast as I can. It's
>almost like a chore now.

Yes, I only read about one-fifth of the lists myself. But that's just the
point! People don't always know what you might be interested in, so rather
than police it beforehand, just read what you like and leave the rest. And
if the list has become a serious time commitment for you...well, damn, just
don't read them all...

>  If the list was properly focused, more quality people could
>follow the list. People would come for the A and stay for
>the A, and if they wanted B, they can go elsewhere so as not
>to disturb those who don't. Common sense.

But also common sense is that one person, unless they're the list
moderator, should not define what falls into category A and what doesn't. I
don't have a problem with the moderator nixing something, but it's also
helpful if people speak up about what they think would make a better list.

>  Imagine if in order to buy MG brake pads from Moss you had
>to buy a FIAT engine at the same time. All you want are the pads,
>and you are prepared to pay a fair price for them, but the only
>way you can get them is to also drop the coin to get that
>useless FIAT engine as well.

Well, I don't know how FIATs got in here... imagine it this way instead.
Imagine if you wanted to buy MG brake pads, water pump, and bonnet latch
from Moss, but in order to get them, you can't just pick up your handy MOSS
FALL '97 BRAKE PADS WATER PUMPS AND BONNET LATCHES catalog, oh no, you've
got to wade through all of that other stuff...the point about COMPLETELY
non-LBC posts is well taken, but so far as I remember, this whole thread
got started because someone was trying to sell LBC parts here, which is not
appreciated by some. But you can't always be sure where to draw the line,
so why not be a little looser? WHat if I were to post "4-sale, Datsun B210
5-speed trans $200" on this list? It's LBC related for the right people who
know what to do with it, although very few people will be interested.

>lists get ruined this way. As the quality people drop
>off, the "loud" people get more numerous, the spiral
>continues, and eventually it's a complete waste of time
>
>--
>Trevor Boicey
>Ottawa, Canada
>tboicey@brit.ca