Re: MG trip to England

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MG trip to England
From: Philip Raby <philip.raby@eos-magazine.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 97 15:24:42 -0000
On 8/12/97 9:04 am David Littlefield said

>Don't take your boss as a passenger, especially if he doesn't know you.
>You'll scare him too much as you hit the curbs on the left side of the
>road occasionally.  Just ask my passenger, Art Ziesk, about this.  Also
>difficult is judging distances to parked cars on narrow roadways.  It's
>not as bad as it sounds, though.  Everything is 3/4 scale to an American;
>the roads, the cars, the buildings.
Really?? You mean Yank MGs are bigger than English MGs? :-)

>Randall notes that "the fast lane is the right lane, and the slow lane is
>the left lane. Just the opposite from the US."  Know also that these
>distinctions MEAN something there.  Stay out of the faster lanes unless
>you are PASSING someone, or are willing to maintain speeds appropriate to
>your lane.  British drivers are generally better than US drivers and are
>less tolerant of fools that poke along in the fast lane.
Nah, just stay in the fast lane and put your foot down. If you're driving
fast enough, no one will be able to pass you!! But if you're going up the
M40 to Gaydon, I'll let you know where the speed cameras are!

>The Heritage Museum at Gaydon is well worth going and braving the roads.
>Although public transport is excellent in Britain, when I was there I
>couldn't figure out a way to get to Gaydon in reasonable time via buses,
>etc.
Umm, I must have missed out on this excellent public transport :-)
Seriously though, you won't get a train or bus to Gaydon, it really is in
the sticks, apart from being right by the motorway.

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk