Re:paint removal was I found a Magnette!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:paint removal was I found a Magnette!
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 14:27:00 -0500
Hi Kevin,

Eastwood sells a 3M pad that goes on a grinder that is excellent for
removing surface rust from sheetmetal surfaces. It also removes paint. The
pads wear down though so you would have to get a couple to avoid down time.
They come in two grades. A heavy pad for rust and paint and a cleaning pad
for cleanup after a chemical strip. These pads do not overheat and warp
sheetmetal. Never use a grinder/grinding disc to sand off paint on
sheetmetal if you are doing a refinishing job. (Obviously grinding small
ares for welding repairs is OK) It will distort the sheetmetal in no time
and you will wind up with a nice topographical relief map on the side of
your car. The same can happen with careless sand blasting. The best
approach is commercial stripping, either (they're out of my budget) walnut
shell blasting or chemical dip. The next best is chemical strippers such as
Kwik Strip. I have used this method with good success and am presently
completing the stripping job on my '79B. All safety precautions apply.

When I was in high school I sanded my old Dodge Dart with a grinder and 80
grit discs. The sides of the car were an absolute mess. I learned my lesson
then. At least it wasn't at the expense of an LBC.

Body work is difficult at best and there is no point in making the job even
more difficult by creating more repair work for yourself.

$1.00

At 11:36 AM 1/15/98 -0700, Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com> wrote:

>SNIP>

>Hmmm.  I just got my HF catalog and anticipate ordering some things from
>them.  I wasn't planning to blast the exterior.  I was thinking about
>using that for non flat areas like floor pans.  What it the preferred tool
>for removing surface rust from a large smooth area like the roof?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA      kevins@khoral.com
>Khoral Research Inc.            http://www.khoral.com/staff/kevins/mgstuff
>Albuquerque NM USA