Re: Better, or Different

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Better, or Different
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:47:20 EST
On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:17:42 EST WSpohn4@aol.com writes:
><<Sometimes it gets so silly, I almost feel like type Triumph
>over and over again.  What is it with the Marque snobbery?
>I mean, considering what most LBC types do with their cars,
>just what is it that makes an MG better than a TR?  I mean,
>do people with the Octagon just polish the car better?
>
>I can just see it at the show:
>
>"Well, I spent more money, have more original chrome, and well
>just shine better than that TR guy!">>
>
>Marque rivalry is just that - silly. But isn't that what little kids
>in the
>schoolyard, and big nations do to each other all the time?
>I have enough different kinds of cars that I haven't for a number of
>years had
>any problem with admitting their various flaws, but tell a typical
>immature
>(mentally) owner that his car isn't as fast, as good looking, or as
>anything
>else as someone else's car, and it's like like telling him that he's
>lousy in
>bed, or he's ugly or some other personal insult.
>I'm afraid that unless everyone suddenly grows up (I think you'll
>agree an
>unlikely prospect), we will have to continue to tolerate puerile
>attitudes,
>something that, at times, annoys me as much as it apparently does you.
>
>Bill S.
>Lots of cars
>few illusions

Am I missing something? - Do some folk actually BELIEVE the jibes
levelled at one enthusiast by another?? I sincerely always thought it was
just good fun, jolly banter, niggardly repartee....Good natured rivalry
is fun for all those involved - an endorsement of ones own choices and
for my money bonds people together in the larger picture.
Im not talking about genuine prejudices or mean spiritedness - but you
just dont get those over silly things like car marques (at least not in
the circles i travel in).
I may be (conciously) appearing naive over this but i just dont see any
serious side to it -  and anyway, it's a documented fact that MG owners
are better looking , are superior lovers AND ENJOY THEMSELVES MORE than
owners of any other marque!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]