Re: Buying MGB

To: Dimitri.Kluyskens@rug.ac.be
Subject: Re: Buying MGB
From: Rene and Marion van Maanen <renevm@support.neth.hp.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 19:59:43 +0100
miker15@juno.com ad Dimitri.Kluyskens@rug.ac.be wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Mar 1998 17:06:00 +0200 Dimitri Kluyskens
> <Dimitri.Kluyskens@rug.ac.be> writes:
> >Hi
> >

> >I'm just new in this group, never had any experience with any list.  I
> >
> >just got the address while surfing on the net.  I'm about to buy a
> >MGB,
> >but I just needed some info about it, like what to look for when
> >buying
> >one (problem parts, .....) and a good manual for repairing.  Also what
> >
> >to pay to get a good one (average prices....)
> >
> >Thanx
> >
> >Dimitri
> >
> >P.S. What about the MGA and MGC, aren't they cooler than the MGB?
> >
> Welcome Dimitri - youre in the right place.....
> >From your address my guess is that you are in Belgium in which case one
> of our
> European Buddies will be the  most help to you about your local market -
> there are several contributors from Holland and Germany as well as a lot
> from the UK.
> What to look for is however universal! - the most important problem an
> MGB has is RUST - of course anything can be fixed - at a price but - look
> for as rust free a car as you can find/afford.
> At this stage in your search - i.e.early - the most important book for
> you to buy is
> "MGB guide to purchase and restoration" by Lindsey Porter - it lists
> every problem you are likely to encounter plus tells you how to fix most
> of them - one warning, Porter tends to over emphasise the seriousness of
> certain elements - for example, if the seats and interior are worn out -
> this is not a major item.....rust rust and rust are what you have to
> beware of!
> You will need a service manual when you finally get the car Bentley or
> Haynes or both but that isnt as important as the Porter book right now.
> Check if there is an MG club near you (there probably is) you can access
> lists of clubs, cars for sale, parts etc through the wbsite which you can
> find through searching "mgcars" (sorry dont have the URL handy.)
> Sure MGAs are cool as are Cs but there are more Bs available and they
> tend to be cheaper to restore and run - its all a matter of choice
> Keep us posted of what you do and feel free toask questions - you will
> learn a lot in this forum - and not just about MGs - you'll see what i
> mean after a few days!!
> BTW - do you have a cat? like Frank Zappa or drink beer?- if you do you
> are also in the right place!!
>
> mike robson
> 69 roadster
> 70 BGT
> 72 roadster

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Dimitri,

It seems right to me that you first make the choice of a car type.
All are cool, it's just what you want.

The A is older, the C stands only for a B with a 6 cylinder engine build
in. Either Raodstar or GT. There is another choice you could make: V8.
It was build in the GT version only, and is hard to get in Europe.

I would advise you to buy some magazines (like Auto en Motor Klassiek)
and make up your mind on the look-a-like.

Greetings, Rene

Rene and Marion van Maanen
Netherlands Europe
SOHC #252