Re: Why do Miata's have their tops up?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why do Miata's have their tops up?
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 08:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
Re: Why do Miata's have their tops up?

They're generally driven by older folks who know enough to get out of the
sun. When I was young and foolish and living in San Francisco, I never put
the tops UP on the many MGs and Morris Minor convertibles that I used
regularily - I mean, what was the toneau cover for, right!  But that was
when we were young - before the ozone layer was depleted by the byproduct
emissions of the catalytic converters used on all new cars since 1975 and
prior to today's skin cancer awareness programs. It also was in the west
Bay Area where the cloud cover and wispy mists somewhat obscure the sun.

We still have three ragtops; a pair of Minors and a 69 Malibu but generally
find the hot LA sun a bit uncomfortable and hats seem to blow off at speed.
The tops don't usually go down until late in the afternoon.  This might not
be the answer to the question at hand but is something to think about.

Rick Feibusch
Venice, CA