Re: Blind Driver Rally Was: Blackout at 60mph

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Blind Driver Rally Was: Blackout at 60mph
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:32:52 -0500
Rick Morrison wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:18:25 -0800 Joanna Adler <joannaadler@yahoo.com>
> writes:
> >That does sound like great fun!!!  Are there other events like this?
> >
> >Joanna
> >
> Joanna,
>  I understand that the Chicagoland MGB club holds one every year. In
> fact, to be honest, that's where we "stole" the idea from.
>
> But honestly, it's not hard to put on, and any good sized club or group
> can do it. It does take the cooperation of an agency (school, etc) that
> deals with the sight impaired to get it going. The hardest part is
> getting "sponsors". We probably spent more time doing that than actually
> planning and putting on the event.  For example, have you ever walked
> into a Jaguar dealership and asked for 10 new Jags for a couple of days
> for the "celebrity" participants to drive? Daunting to say the least.
>   Oh, we got them; 6 new Xj6's, and 4 XJS's.
>
> Rick Morrison
> 72 MGBGT
> 74 Midget

I have been told that the Braille Rallye tradition amongst MG Car Clubs
was started by the Washington DC Centre - we held our 36th Annual Rallye
in September of last year.  Can this claim be refuted by anyone out
there?

I have enjoyed this thread and have picked up on some really fine new
ideas for putting on this type of event.  Although we have continued the
tradition for 36 years, our format has been relatively static in the
past few years and a change or two, using some of your ideas, would
probably do a lot of good!

On a personal note, I have a fairly severe hearing loss.  Picture that -
a blind navigator and a deaf driver...now there was a real challenge!

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/