Re: Blind Driver Rally Was: Blackout at 60mph

To: schooler@erols.com
Subject: Re: Blind Driver Rally Was: Blackout at 60mph
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:11:08 EST
On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:32:52 -0500 Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
writes:

>I have been told that the Braille Rallye tradition amongst MG Car
>Clubs
>was started by the Washington DC Centre - we held our 36th Annual
>Rallye
>in September of last year.  Can this claim be refuted by anyone out
>there?
>
>I have enjoyed this thread and have picked up on some really fine new
>ideas for putting on this type of event.  Although we have continued
>the
>tradition for 36 years, our format has been relatively static in the
>past few years and a change or two, using some of your ideas, would
>probably do a lot of good!

Bill,
One "side-bar" event at our Braille Rallyes was a "Blind Gynkama"- A
gynkama course was set up in a large parking lot. At the start, the
driver was blindfolded, and had to negotiate the course purely on the
instructions of his/her navigator. Best time, less penalties for downed
cones etc, was declared the winner.
Interesting!

>On a personal note, I have a fairly severe hearing loss.  Picture that
>-
>a blind navigator and a deaf driver...now there was a real challenge!
At the risk of sounding like "one upmanship", one of the "celebrities"
one year was a well known local radio personality. I knew the man wore
extremely thick glasses, but thought little about it, until one of the
school staff requested that he not be invited the following year, as the
kids didn't want to ride with him. A little checking revealed that the
man was (barely) legally blind! How he managed to pass the vision test
for his driver's license, I'll never know.
Rick