Re: MG racers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG racers
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:46:46 -0800
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:03:39 -0800
Skye Poier wrote:

>PS, if anyone can give me more information on the 1964 MGB GT >class win
>at Rallye Monte Carlo I would appreciate it.  All I know is >the car reg
>was '7 DBL'.

6, 7, and 8 DBL (I think) were three famous MGBs that were
actually more than three MGBs.  These cars competed in various
guises at Sebring, Le Mans, Monza, and Monte Carlo (probably
lots of other places too!)  Also, while the car won the
GT class, I don't think it was a 'B GT.  All of the DBL
pictures I've seen were of red roadsters with white hardtops.

I think 7 DBL was wearing the long nose on the Monte.  I'll
look for pic and info references.  I remember reading in
Sprinzel's book that they crashed one of 'em on the Tulip
Rally (I think?).  Or maybe it was the Alpine.

I for one would love to see someone write a book on the
racing history of the MGBs.  Everything from the cranks
breaking on the early cars at Sebring to the footage that
ABC showed on the Wide World of Sports of the #60 MGB GT
loosing a wheel and rolling at the '70 Sebring.

And then there are so many un-answered questions.  What
happened to the Le Mans nose after it was damaged?  Just
thrown away?  What the he** was car #59 at the '70 Sebring,
the one pitted between a 'B and a 'B GT, referred to
as a "BMC Roadster"?  Were all the wheels that look like
mine magnesium? (Ok, that's not major history, but I
want to know!)

So many projects...

Safety fast,

-Keith Wheeler