RE: Slowing the Fuel Gauge Fluctuation on an LBC

To: Hans Duinhoven <H.Duinhoven@simac.nl>, "'Larry Colen'" <lrcar@red4est.com>,
Subject: RE: Slowing the Fuel Gauge Fluctuation on an LBC
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:35:52
Hold on a sec.  Back up a little before MGB times, say the '50s and early
'60s.  Earlier LBCs did not not use hot wire actuated gauges or voltage
regulators.  My MGA fuel gauge has the needle balanced between two opposing
magnetic coils.  It reacts similar to a simple analog volt meter and dances
around as fast as the fuel can slosh in the tank.  I'm rather used to it by
now, but I can see how it may bother some people.  I think the current on
the sender wire is quite small, and a capacitor might do the trick.

I notice the original note was posted to the healey list as well as the mgs
list.  How many other LBCs use a fuel gauge without a hot wire or regulator?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

----- Prior Message -----
At 08:37 AM 8/20/99 +0200, Hans Duinhoven wrote:
>it's quite uncommon for fuel gauges to fluctuate quickly, because they
work on a hot wire principle.  .... Furtheron the dash voltage regulator
maybe faulty,....

down the fluctuation of the fuel gauge needle action on an LBC:

this circuit it would absorbe some of the pulsation of the current and damp
the needle on the guage.  I think it would call for a large electrolytic
capacitor, .... <<<<