Re: Trying to take off my steering wheel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trying to take off my steering wheel
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 20:19:12 +0000
Adam wrote:

> I have a bit of a problem. I am trying to take off the
> steering wheel on my 65 midget. I have removed the bolt but the darn
> thing wont budge.

Adam,

A day or two soaking in penetrant (not you, the splines).... then the
"dangerous" stuff.

If you have a full-face helmet I recommend you put it on at this stage
and maybe don a flack jacket or strap a cushion to your chest.  Plant
yourself in the driver's seat, then pull on the wheel towards yourself
rocking it from side to side (with the occasional full-blooded pull on
both sides at once).  I got into a great little rhythm where I even
fitted in some shimmies, to boot (if your SO was ever a dancer, ask her
about this movement:-)

Try to be aware of any loosening movement at all so that you might
prepare yourself to take the full brunt of the steering wheel in the
face and/or chest if it comes away.

Prepare youself for a decent amount of time doing this (place a full
beer cooler or small keg on the passenger seat).

Children, don't try this at home.

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS If this doesn't work.... grab a huge mallet...