Panhard Rod

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Panhard Rod
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 01:21:32 +0000
A couple of questions for you all....

1. A while ago I took the advice of this list (well... you know what I
mean) and I fitted a lot of V8-type bits and pieces to strengthen and/or
stiffen up the front suspension of my '68 (stock) MGB.  This was mainly
because I was getting her/myself into sprint 'races'.  What a great
improvement to handling - all was worth it.

Then, because we always want... MORE..., I went a step further and
uprated the sway bar to a bloody great 7/8 in an effort to try to keep
both rear wheels on the ground during heavy cornering.  Without a LSD
that 'flying' wheel was pretty useless spinning away when I wanted to go
forward!  The 7/8 sway bar did the trick, but I had to learn a few more
tricks to handle the additional oversteer that initially threw me off
into the dust more than once.

I now find on winding, bumpy roads, the car tends to 'shimmy' about -
and on real corrugations she can tend to take herself towards the edge
of the roadway.  Am I right in blaming the sway bar for this
disconcerting movement?

2.  My next thought is now to stiffen up the rear end with the addition
of a panhard rod (V8-style).  Any thoughts on this?

Yes, she does ride the bumps pretty hard now (hell, who needs to let the
suspension do its job) but seeing as I have gone this far am I going to
see a significant improvement by limiting the rear axle movement with
the panhard rod?

3.  I have searched the 'Net... and a few online catalogs... but I can't
find a price on a panhard rod for my 'B.

Can someone throw me the price of a new item and maybe what I could get
one for 2nd hand?  I have had an offer of one locally (Australia) that I
am told is a Moss item but the person offering couldn't give me a price
at the time (I assume he bought it and didn't pinch it:-) and I couldn't
see the price in the online Moss catalog- so I wonder what I should
offer.

Any advice gratefully received.

Eric
'68MGB MkII