Re: double / single clutch

To: barneymg@ntsource.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: double / single clutch
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:28:13 EST
In a message dated 1/28/00 1:23:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
barneymg@ntsource.com writes:

<< What?  More than four hours and no one has responeded to this yet?  I must
 be a really old fart because I learned to drive on a 3/4 ton '41 Ford p/u
 truck with 4-speed crash box tranny.  As such, I'm not solicited to answer
 this question, because I HAVE use a non-syncro gearbox.  But, "for those
 who haven't used a non-synchro gearbox", I'd be happy to answer questions
 directed at me. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've been reading this thread with interest.  I know how to double-clutch,
but the exact terminology of what happens inside the tranny is not in my
vocabulary.  I believe it has something to do with synchronizing the speed of
the layshaft to either the engine or driveshaft.  I always match engine speed
to tranny speed when shifting, but do not always double-clutch.  Over the
years I have become adept at heel-toe driving.  I also know that it is not
necessary to let the clutch pedal all the way out, just enough to match that
layshaft speed.

Perhaps Barney could write one of his marvelous, long-winded explanations.
(And I mean that in the best possible manner!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport