Re: coolent recovery

To: BobMGT@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: coolent recovery
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:09:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/4/00 12:36:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, BobMGT@aol.com
writes:

<< What does the coolant recovery container do that a fill line in the
radiator
 couldn't accomplish? One can avoid leaking coolant on an old car by just not
 filling the radiator to the brim! Now if you fill the plastic overflow tank
 to the top, what do you think happens? Excuse my ranting, just a pet peeve
of
 mine. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The coolant recovery bottle shouldn't be full.  It should have a little
coolant at the bottom when cold and be about half full when hot.  The tube
from the top of the radiator sits in the coolant in the recovery bottle and
siphons coolant back to the radiator as it cools.  The recovery bottle should
never overflow, but it should catch overflow from the radiator.

Now that's a cool post!

In my 1977 Midget there seem to be TWO recovery bottles.  One is apparently
used to fill the radiator, because there is no pressure cap on the radiator
itself.  If the first bottle overflows it goes into the second bottle.  You
know, the one with the throttle return spring for the Weber attached to it!
Ahhh, British engineering!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget