Re: IGNITOR FAILURE-USEFULL LIFE?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: IGNITOR FAILURE-USEFULL LIFE?
From: "Rick Astley" <ricka@mich.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:39:05 -0400
Just been re-reading this aging string.

Can anyone who had an Ignitor fail tell me whether they or not had a ballast
resistor in circuit? I am wondering because the resistor gets shunted out of
circuit during cranking and so the Ignitor dumps a lot of current into the
coil. In the the PerTronix leaflet the shunt wire is significant by its
absense, although it is standard fare on any car with a ballast. I called
PT's tech line to ask if the Ignitor could take that short term high current
and whether it would over stress the device and lessen its expectentation of
life. The tech didn't seem too sure.
Rick