Re:@#$%& Transmission

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:@#$%& Transmission
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:46:07 -0700
Well, I didn't actually get my engine and transmission pulled this
weekend to find out what's wrong, but did get most of the ancillary
stuff off.

One thing that occurred to me was that I might need to find other
lifting points for the engine.  A while back, I replaced the iron
head with aluminum.  The traditional lift brackets attach to the
rocker studs, that are attached to the head casting.  The aluminum
seems a little weak to be hanging all that iron off of.  Anyone have
a favorite alternative method /points of attachment?

This is becoming one of those classic "since I'm going to so much
trouble, I might as well..." jobs.  I'm noticing all the bits that
could use degreasing, repainting, inspection, etc.  The most
worrisome is that when I drained the oil, I found a small chip of
cast iron (?) almost big enough for the folks at the NTSB or the FAA
to identify ("Looks like the tip of a compressor blade from the
outboard engine--probably sheared in a bird strike...")  I'll pull
the pan and inspect.

I have a slightly used Elgin street cam (removed from another engine
to pass SMOG) that I was thinking of installing, which means new
lifters.  It really isn't the best cam for the compression and valve
sizes I'm running, so this probably isn't worth doing unless the cam
lobes are looking bad.
--
Chris Attias
Aptos, CA