Re: Competition, was: New Arrival (soon)

To: "Nick McCormack" <nick.mccormack@frontrange.com>,
Subject: Re: Competition, was: New Arrival (soon)
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:21:46 -0500
> Really we should be clubbing together to support each other as Classic Car
> nuts, not blaming each other for the demise of each otehr, and if truth be
> told the TR7 was the death knell to both Triumph and MG in the early 80's.
> bad business decision like many others taken at the time by the parent
BMC!

   In my opinion, British Leyland and just "the times" were the great
killers
of the British motor industry.  British Leyland cut costs by cutting
quality --
in every dimension.  Amoco tried the same tactics in the early '90s.  They
tried to "save their way to greatness."  It doesn't work.  Add to that the
holy social trends of the times.  There was mentality that said anything
that
eats fossil fuel, puts exhaust into the air, can physically hurt you or be
enjoyed, is BAD.  Look at the horrible low-speed impact bumpers required
on American-market cars!  And the incredible mass of emissions crap these
cars had to carry!  No, it wasn't rivalry that killed the British motor
industry.
It was bad decisions, poor economic times and the opinions and governmental
rules of that industry's major market -- America.
   The same mentality killed Alfa Romeo, Lancia and Fiat in this country.
Fortunately, they had a world-wide market and no "British Leland"
conglomerate
trying to save them into greatness.  FIAT (and BMW) at least knew that they
had to invest in their product if an increasingly quality-conscious market
was to
be nurtured.  Without Ford, Jaguar and Aston Martin would have gone
the same direction.
   But enough social commentary -- however pertinent.  I respect all the
marques.  In fact, I once bought a Lada head gasket in Russia just because
it was so cool to find a NEW hand made copper head gasket!

Best,

rick
Ferrari, MG, BMW, Mercedes, Lancia, GMC

///