Re: 69 B tuning -- what are we missing here?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 69 B tuning -- what are we missing here?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:11:24 -0700
Well, due to the "hidden" timing marks we had originally set it at around 15
degrees advanced (as it turned out). It wouldn't accelerate in this mode, so
we tried cranking the vernier all the way advanced (still no go) and
retarded (nope). That's when I felt around underneath the pulley and found
the degree pointers. At that time we were around 12 degrees advanced. So we
loosened the distributor clamp and brought it around to 10. This let us
reset the idle, so we went through the carb setup again.

So we've basically tried a wide range of timing settings (I would say from
about 5 to almost 20 degrees advanced). It seems to me it must be something
else.

I have heard of the harmonic balancers separating so that the timing mark is
off, but the engine idles so well it's hard to believe it can be seriously
wrong.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149