RE: Are MGB reliable daily drivers?

To: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Subject: RE: Are MGB reliable daily drivers?
From: Zubrovka <zubrovka@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:30:32 -0600
I've been driving and maintaining my parents Deville for several
years now.  My dad can no longer drive and I have become his
chauffeur.  The fuel pump went out on it one cold winter night and
that sucker cost $750 just for the pump assembly!  I was speechless,
and it's not something you get at the Napa counter, it's a dealer
only item.  One of the motor mounts broke too and they are $125 each!
I recall fondly how easy my 67 Camaro was to work on, I guess the
manufacturers just didn't want us to be able to keep doing it
ourselves and robbing them.

Back in the late 80's when I first got the MG, I was driving it every
day, between sorting out electrical problems.  I think that was 90%
of the problems I had with it and even I,  with limited mechanical
ability,  managed to get it sorted out (with a lot of help from my
friends).
I remember once the heater control valve went out and it was during
the winter.  I ordered a new one and was told it would be a few days
getting here.  The mechanic that worked for me suggested we go out to
the farm shop where I keep my old cars and parts stored.  I had 3
Nash Metropolitans out there and he thought they looked awfully
similar to my B engine.  We got a part off one of the Mets that did
what the heater control valve does.  It worked till my new valve came
in.

If any of you get a chance to do business with a firm in Arkansas, MG
Bits and Spares, I highly recommend them.
I have met the owner, Don Bridger.  He was always open and helpful
and dealt very squarely on parts.  He knows his stuff too!
John

>It is just NOT factual that MG's are expensive to repair, especially when
>the costs are compared to the RELATIVE cost of repairs on many other modern
>import cars of today's era.
>
>For validation of the above - Check the comparative cost for repairs and
>scheduled maintenance verses a Lexus, a BMW, Infiniti, Rover or a Jag. I
>have. The costs are unbelievably high and make MG repair and maintenance
>costs look pale, and a bargain, in comparison.
>
>Check out the cost of a trans overhaul or look at the scheduled maintenance
>costs for a Honda, Toyota, Mazda or almost any model Nissan product. They
>wanted $180 for just a "minor" (basically an oil change and tire rotation)
>service on my 2001 Maxima! I know a lady that actually paid $6000.00 for an
>engine overhaul/partial replacement on a 2000 Toyota Camry (under warranty
>but didn't change the oil enough)!!!
>
>Hell, they want $365.00 PLUS tax for a 30,000 mile service on just my little
>two wheel drive 2000 Isuzu Rodeo!
>
>I submit to you that the MGB of yesteryear is very economical in cost to
>repair and maintain as compared to the vehicles of today!
>
>Same goes for ease of/difficulty of repairs. Once you get to thinking that
>an MGB is difficult to repair, just look under the bonnet of virtually any
>one of the above high tech vehicles made today and compare them to the ease
>and simplicity of working on a B! I'll take my B any day on repair costs and
>to work on myself over the Maxima and Rodeo that I have!
>
>You know what it does to "assume", don't you?
>
>-Jerry Erbesfield
>73 B Black Beauty roadster

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list