Re: Memorial Day/British Car week project questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Memorial Day/British Car week project questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:41:13 -0700
Rear brakes sticking sounds like it might be a rear cylinder leak, with
fluid on the shoes. Messy job, but not technically difficult.

I can't quite figure your transmission situation, either. There is no way
that the four synchro shifter would line up with the hole in the original
cover -- it should be 1-1/2 to 2 inches too far to the rear. And that
crooked shifter lever looks like the 3-synchro lever -- the later one is
straight and larger diameter. It almost looks like the cover is riveted on
in the photo -- is that correct? Mine used bolts, into fixed nuts in the
tunnel.

After close examination of the photos, I would guess that the cover has been
moved or modified -- it doesn't seem to sit quite right. So that could
accommodate the lever position.

But the three bolt arrangement doesn't look right at all. At the least the
bolts are wrong -- the heads are too big and they are probably too long to
fit (based on your description). Have you tried replacing them with
smaller-headed bolts? Maybe you have some other sort of British tranny? Or a
different shifter extension?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149