Re: Memorial Day/British Car week project questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG List)
Subject: Re: Memorial Day/British Car week project questions
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:40:21 -0400
Actually, it sounds pretty close to being right, for a 4-syncro.

The three bolts (if I'm remembering clearly) are stepped, and do not clamp the
shifter retaining plate in place.  They hold springs in place which provide the
downward clamping action.  So all you're missing are the springs... which don't
show up in the moss catalog.

Like this, where H=the head of the bolt, s=spring, and t=threads:

   HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
   HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
   s  |      |  s
   s  |      |  s
   s  |      |  s
___s__|      |__s______
       |TTTT|
       |TTTT|
       |TTTT|

Hope that helps.

The springs are pretty short -- 3/8 inch?  and reasonably stiff.

Matt  (I don't know what it's about, but I know what it looks like)

Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com> wrote:
>But the three bolt arrangement doesn't look right at all. At the least the
>bolts are wrong -- the heads are too big and they are probably too long to
>fit (based on your description). Have you tried replacing them with
>smaller-headed bolts? Maybe you have some other sort of British tranny? Or a
>different shifter extension?

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/