RE: Driving Philosophies (Long) (Was: Re: Cops vs.LBCs)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Driving Philosophies (Long) (Was: Re: Cops vs.LBCs)
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:07:19 -0500
> I have read it, and it doesn't make any case for the yellows
> being too
> short for a safe stop. It only states (without any detail of the
> studies) that lengthening the the yellow will reduce the
> number of cars

Yes, but that fact alone points out that rather than doing rather simple
things to aid the flow of traffic, we're doing things of questionable
legality (photo-enforcement) that gets money for the city and Lockheed
Martin, and causes an increase in rear-end accidents, all supposedly in the
name of safety.

If you fully explore the site, you'll find far more detail on the studies.

As for questioning the site's statements, it's one of the few places you can
get information about these enforcement tactics that hasn't come from the
insurance industry, municipalities, or someone else who benefits financially
from these devices.  As for trying to get your vote, this site is run by
Rep. Dick Armey.  Most of the people in the country can't vote for him, and
IIRC he's decided to retire after his current term anyway.