Re: Driving Philosophies (Long) (Was: Re: Cops vs.LBCs)

To: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Subject: Re: Driving Philosophies (Long) (Was: Re: Cops vs.LBCs)
From: Stephen West-Fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:32:14 -0400
Chuck Renner wrote:

> Read this:
>
> http://www.freedom.gov/auto/rlcreport.asp

I have read it, and it doesn't make any case for the yellows being too
short for a safe stop. It only states (without any detail of the
studies) that lengthening the the yellow will reduce the number of cars
going through on red. I bet a little extrapolation will allow me to
state that I can stop all red light incursions by lengthening the
duration of the yellow... to infinity!

I live in an area where they do not use the cameras, and the warning is
sufficient for me to bring a Series II Land Rover to a dead stop in all
cases. The brakes on a Series II (in case you've never driven one) are
"none too savage". Interestingly enough, almost every time the light
turns green for me, somebody blows through at speed on the red. Often,
after I come to a stop at a light, several cars from the left lane will
go through on the red.

Always question (heavily) a heavily political web site's statements,
they are just trying to get your vote, noting else matters to them.

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems