MGB GT Emissions test

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB GT Emissions test
From: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas@millenicom.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:20:50 -0500
The first time I went through the Illinois emission test I started making
excuses about my old car to the tester so that he would go easy. I didn't
even get to the second sentence when he told me it had passed. This was a 72
BGT without all the junk they put on later B's. I can't imagine that the
newer ones would have much trouble no matter what configuration of car.

BTW, the statement that the patches put on the MG was because of Triumph
ruling the roost is only be partially true. I read a book on the demise of
the British Auto Industry that made the point that the folks who ran the
companies had started as apprentices and worked their way up. This led to a
great suspicion of anyone who had a degree, or formal schooling. The point
that was being made was that these folks could "improve" on what they had,
but couldn't innovate.

Similar to a statement I read about the US Auto industry. Electronic devices
were avoided by the manufacturers because all of them were trained
mechanical engineers, and were suspicious of anyone who had an electrical
engineering background. Looks like it took Washington to force them into
accepting electronics because of emission controls.

Jack