RE: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:58:29 -0500
> You're right, they aren't repair tools, they're the ultimately compact
> "oh shit kit". There are times that I would rather spend a little more
> time, getting a tow from AAA so that I can fix the problem in the
> comfort of my own garage, with my full panalopy of tools, spares, goo,
> and short walk to my refrigerator rather than lying in the dirt on the
> side of the road.

Not only that, but depending on where you break down, you can at least
get towed to a safe location.  Yes, you can do a lot of work on the side
of a busy roadway, but it's also a good way to get run over.

I carry my old cooling hoses in my XJ6, but a fellow XJ6 owner doesn't.
His lower rad hose developed a leak.  It was early evening, and formed
hoses for Jaguars are tough to come buy at a parts store, and he was
basically miles away from any services.  Used the cell phone to call
AAA, and he had the car towed down the highway to a Lowe's, where he
bought a small section of PVC pipe and some clamps, and spliced it in
place of the leaky section.