Re: body work

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: body work
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
Blair J. Weiss SEZ -

> Bondo goes over bare metal, seam sealer goes over primer.

The fellow doing the body work on my MGA tells me emphatically
that you always apply body filler (don't know if it's Bondo
brand he's using) over primer, then apply more primer over the
filler.  This is to prevent moisture from getting between the
filler and the metal (since the filler is hygroscopic), causing
rust and separation of the filler from the metal.  This
condition usually shows itself as little "pimples" under the
paint which, if impacted, will cause a chunk of the filler
underneath to break free from the body and leave a big hole in
the paint.

--
David Breneman                     | "I don't care to belong to a club
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  that accepts people like me