Re: body work

To: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Subject: Re: body work
From: "Blair J. Weiss" <blair@ifd.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:46:38 -0400
David Wrote :

> Blair J. Weiss SEZ -
>
> > Bondo goes over bare metal, seam sealer goes over primer.
>
> The fellow doing the body work on my MGA tells me emphatically
> that you always apply body filler (don't know if it's Bondo
> brand he's using) over primer, then apply more primer over the
> filler.  This is to prevent moisture from getting between the
> filler and the metal (since the filler is hygroscopic), causing
> rust and separation of the filler from the metal.  This
> condition usually shows itself as little "pimples" under the
> paint which, if impacted, will cause a chunk of the filler
> underneath to break free from the body and leave a big hole in
> the paint.

Probably should be looking for a new body guy by now? The "Evercoat
Everglass waterproof short
strand fiberglass reinforced filler" aka Tiger Hair goes onto bare metal. If
you were to put it over primer, you would be depending upon the adhesive
strength on the primer to the metal to keep the filler on the car.

On top of the tiger hair, the next coat of "Bondo" should be a fine light
weight variety.

Seam sealer doesn't go on exterior panels, it is a rubbery compound for
covering over joints, like welds, or better panel adhesive. For what it's
worth, I just finished a B and ended up using SEM adhesive to "glue"  the
floor pans in. I was a little skeptical about it, so I welded the rockers...

The stuff is amazing. Hit the metal with a 36 grit grinder, and lay a 1/4"
bead around the lip where the floor sits. Take a "bondo" spreader and smooth
it down, lay your panels into place, and sink about 12 tek screws into each
floor... total time about 5 hours... oh and you still need to put seam
sealer over the panel adhesive.

Blair