Fw: body work

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: body work
From: "Blair J. Weiss" <blair@ifd.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:09:54 -0400
 Don,
Yes, I did the entire job... Inners, middle, outer, spring supports, the
extensions on top of the trumpet, the trumpet tops, the cross member under
the tunnel,
jacking points, floors,  dog legs...  plus misc. patch panels in the
firewall.. and inner wheel wells
for some reason the front fenders were perfect...(replaced?)

 To answer your question... if you are supporting the car from the front and
rear axles the
load will be built in... or will be the same as if it was sitting on the
ground. I supported the axles, as well as another set of jack stands under
the subframe that runs halfway down the floorboards. BIG caveat... do one
side at a time. If I was to do it again, I would weld a couple a angle irons
across the door opening, just to make sure, but they would be getting in the
way.... but all the books I've read never mentioned it, it's just something
you see in the restoration of other models... .and do one side at a time.
Did I mention do one side at a time?

 If you read the info about the structual adhesive they recomend not using
the stuff in "crumple zones" because the stuff is stronger than welds and
won't give way when needed. People will argue, but there wasn't FEA in
the 1960's... at least in Abingdon.

 Here is a link to the SEM page...
http://www.semproducts.com/sempages/semdualmix.html you should get the gun
for free if you purchase 3 tubes (~$60.00), don't let the retailer tell you
otherwise, they know the deal.. but it only takes 1 tube for both floors.
SEM also
makes something similar to tiger hair called Carbofil, instead of
fiberglass, they
use carbon fiber... supposed to be strong as  H3LL... our local club put on
a welding
tech session earlier this year, and we got a factory rep from SEM to
demonstrate most of his line.
We spent more time on panel adhesive than welding. It's just the modern way
of doing bodywork.

My bodyman swears by the stuff... not to get into any "my body man is better
than your body man arguments" He used to work in a flat rate type body shop,
where they would give you 14 hours to do a quarter panel... using adhesive
you can do it in 3 hours. And now if you are wondering did I do the work or
did he... we have an arrangement where I do welding and first skim bondo, he
does final filler and paint work... nice arrangement if you can get it...
but I wouldn't count on many bodyshops doing this.

 The inners and middle, don't matter much, they land where they land, but
you will want the doors on
 when you align the outer sills. One complaint I have it the size of the dog
 legs by Moss... they go about 10 inches up... if they were 16 or 17 you
 could remove alot more metal and get at the welds upons replacement and
make
 it easier to get apart.

 Blair