Re: body work

To: "Blair J. Weiss" <blair@ifd.mv.com>,
Subject: Re: body work
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:23:48 -0400
Hi Blair,

Did you do the entire sill thing -- inner, middle and outer sills -- or
just the outers?

If everything, I have a question, maybe a question for anyone who has
done it.

When I remove the old sills, I plan to support the body under the seat
and floor area with wood and jack stands to distribute the load. Then
weld in the new sills after getting everything lined up with the doors.
The question is: when I lower the car back onto its wheels, is there any
sag in the sills due to the load of the car. That is, when I line up the
sills the doors and everything is jacked up and supported, can I assume
  it will be exactly the same when I remove the support or do I have to
build in some "sag", and if so about how much?

I guess I heard many new car fenders are glued on rather than welded.
Seems like lots of joints a unibody could be considered structural --
like the sills. I assume there must be places where you can't use this
stuff in place of welding. Any other keywords or names for SEM so I can
find more info on it.

Thanks

Don Malling