RE: Jiffy Lube, et.al

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Jiffy Lube, et.al
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:40:06 -0400
> Anyone have any (positive) experience with those quick oil change
> places?

> No, but I could tell you many horror stories

I, too, have heard many Jiffy Lube horror stories, but as of last year I
have one first hand.  My friend pulled into my driveway right after
having her Saturn "serviced" at Jiffy Lube.  The engine was knocking and
leaking oil all over the driveway.  They had twisted the filter into
oblivion.  It looked as though they had put it on with an air ratchet.
She confronted the manager who denied even the possibility of any
responsibility.  She consulted a mechanic (why she didn't think I was
expert enough, I wonder?) who fortified her more.  After dozens of calls
to regional and national level management (and a clear indication she
would sue if that were her only recourse) they relented and paid for an
engine overhaul.  I do her oil changes now.  I would absolutely NEVER
take a car to Jiffy Lube again.  Pay a premium for quality workmanship?
Sure.  Buy your own lift?  Sure.  But please do not risk your car with
the incompetent management at Jiffy Lube.

Dean