RE: Jiffy Lube, et.al

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Jiffy Lube, et.al
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:14:59 -0400
I have had the very same experience at Jiffy Lube as Mel.  Before
actually witnessing a car that had been destroyed by Jiffy Lube, I used
them on a few occasions myself.  I watched over them carefully and
checked their work and corrected mistakes (like asking the kid to give
it a rest on the wrench after two full spins on the filter - after
getting snug!).  If a concerned car owner has to essentially manage the
crew doing the job in hopes of catching their mistakes, then he is not
really getting much out of the transaction.  I don't count this scenario
as a "positive experience".  It was always a less than inspiring feeling
I got from doing business with them.  In fairness, I can see how one
might grow accustomed to the risk, and determine that it is a manageable
one.  I can even see how one may take the calculated risk to gain the
convenience and time savings.  Still, I can't in good conscience
recommend taking the risk, nor would I take it again myself.  It really
has nothing to do with the fact that I have a wholly unnatural
relationship with my MG ("Pookie-kins").

;-) Dean