Re: TD gear change

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: TD gear change
From: dave houser <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:48:23 -0400
  Bob,
i just can't say enough about the changes by going to the 4:3-1 MGA
modification I did on my 53 TD. Not only have I made the car a real
highway runner but now I have a great all around third gear through town
that I didn't have before. The first gear is no longer just a stump
puller either. Yes, if I get into a steep hill, I will downshift but I
don't consider that a downside to the conversion. My engine has also
appreciated the lower rpm's at speed. It is also one conversion that
does not effect the look of the car which I am in favor of. Bob, I'd
pull out the rear you have, clean it off and get it in there for a
marked difference. For those other non-purists out there, if you go for
the 5 speed conversion you can keep your 5.125 rear and enjoy the best
of all worlds.
Cheers,
Dave Houser