Re: Tube Shock Conversion Kits

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tube Shock Conversion Kits
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:15:38 -0700
I couldn't find that one, but there was a rear setup from a guy in Ohio.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434525963&cat
egory=34200

The rear is pretty straightforward. So long as the bolts are good quality
and the shocks have the correct extension range, I don't see what could be
wrong with it.

The front is a different story. I have the old Wheelwright kit --  it works
OK, but some people have criticized the geometry. It would definitely be
harder to fabricate on the cheap.

But what makes you think that your car's rear end noise has anything to do
with the shocks? Bad shocks would manifest themselves primarily in terms of
ride quality, not noise. What kind of noise are we talking about?

Anyway, FWIW, if I were to do it over again, I think I would have the lever
shocks rebuilt rather than converting to tube shocks. For street use I don't
think there is any particular benefit, and lever shocks are one of the
old-world eccentricities that make these cars so distinctive.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149