Re: Rear Shock Kit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Kit
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:48:16 EST
In a message dated 11/13/03 8:09:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I have been told, by a very reliable source, that if the lever shocks
> are not leaking they are fine -- that is, they do not need to be
> rebuilt. From your experiences would you agree?

Not at all - it just means that THOSE seals (the shaft seals) haven't given
up yet, but the inside of the shocks could be toast, or for that matter empty.
You'd be amazed how many people have no idea that you are supposed to check
and top up Armstrongs as a matter of course.

To anyone that says Armstrongs are a poor choice of shock, I'd add that they
were FAR superior to anything short of a Ferrari in terms of OEM shock
quality. Most of you guys will have forgotten this, but it was standard
practice for
manufacturers to fit a new car with shocks that would just about make it to
the first oil change interval before crapping out. You regularly assumed that
you'd have to change the shocks in a year or so. Armstrongs are good for 100K+
if they are maintained properly.

And BTW, there were special Armstrongs with external adjustment knobs on
them, for the rear omly, I believe. The shaft that passed through the body from
knob to adjuster could leak, but they worked quite well.

Another interesting thing Armstrong did was fit electrically adjustable tube
shocks - they came on the rear of my Jensen CV-8, and had a knob on the tunnel
so you could stiffen them up as you drove.

Bill