Re: Rear Shock Kit

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Kit
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:41:28 -0500
Like Bill Spohn, I think the cost & time & effort to convert the MGB rear
shocks to tube-type, just isn't worth it.  I've put ten years (12 years if I
with standard lever-arm shocks, and except for the few times they have aged
& leaked, have had no problems with the handling.  All I do for racing is
change the shock valves to heavy duty.  Makes a big difference.  But, easy &
cheap to do.

However, I don't completely agree with what Bill said on the Vintage Race
Digest about dual-purpose cars.  My MGB is comfortable enough to use on
business trips (single trips up to 700 miles in recent years) & yet is fast
enough to have finished 9th among 35 cars in each of the last two major
races.  One was Lime Rock 2002 where the only car to lap me was the race
winning ex-factory Aston Martin.  (The B runs consistent 1:11's at LRP.)
The other was at this year's Collier Cup Race where 3 other 100% race car
4-cylinder MGB's beat me & 3 others, also stripped-out race cars, finished
behind me.  However, as this was my first time at The Glen, my best time
with the B was only 2:35.  By comparison, the winning MGB GT V-8 time was
2:15.  BTW, I wonder how many of the MGB race cars out there use tube
shocks?  I know some do.  But, I also see many with lever-arms.

So, what this all means is that fully-functioning, good condition lever-arm
shocks are fine whether for street or track.  And, MGB's are also excellent
dual-purpose cars (with lever arm shocks).

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'59 Turner - also a dual-purpose car